The Advanced Standard Two TESOL Certificate program trains applicants to become fully qualified language teachers while working with adults learning English as an Additional Language (EAL), Business English (TBE), and Academic English (TAC) programs. Upon completion of the course, graduates can work in private language schools worldwide. To train second language teachers, this course provides 150 hours of theory and 150 hours of teaching experience. Canada and the USA require accredited Advanced TESOL Certified Teachers in most governmental schools, recognized accredited private schools, vocational language schools and colleges. This course has twice the time commitment than the TESOL Foundation Certificate and includes teaching experience as part of its training. The advanced program is arranged for individuals who are willing to work both in Canada and overseas.
Although the regular TESOL Certificate without a teaching practicum may be sufficient for overseas employment, to work in Canada or the USA, employers demand a certificate that includes teaching experience. According to TESOL Canada and TESOL USA regulations, to become qualified for teaching employment in North America (Canada, the USA & Mexico), 150 hours of an accredited program must be completed. As many schools have additional programs to teach, they also require teachers with TBE or TAE education and experience to teach Business or Academic English classes. The addition of TBE or TAE to the TESOL Foundation Certificate program makes it a 300-hour program known as the TESOL Advanced Standard II Certificate.
- How to teach four language learning skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing followed by grammar and vocabulary enrichment (theory and practicum)
- Classroom management: teaching effectively in classrooms, lesson pace, use of resources, use of the environment and relevant factors
- Discipline: How to deal with difficult classroom situations, especially with teens
- Lesson planning: Effectively plan lessons to maximize student learning
- Conversational Teaching: Strategies to become an effective conversational teacher
- Teaching methods: A review of past methodologies leading to the most recognized method used today; Communicative Language Teaching (CLT)
- Grammar: An introduction to English language grammar
- Teaching all ages: Young, teenage and adult learners (TEC Children not included)
- TAE, TOEFL, IELTS: The opportunity to learn about these tests and experience them
- TBE: Business communication, writing and contextual skills
- Job-Hunting: Practical information on how to find jobs
Benefits of TESOL Certificate Advanced Standard Two
- Professional Support – Highly trained and experienced professional teachers deliver the course and are readily available to offer support and guidance online or in-class
- Organized Program – a clearly defined course that includes all material and guidelines
- Theory – 150-hours minimum of theory classes taught (TOEFL, IELTS, TBE, TWE)
- Practice – 150-hours of practical teaching experience TESOL, TBE & TAE
- International Accreditation by the Canadian Language Teachers Association, The European Union TESOL Association, Ministry of Emploi Québec, and TESOL
- Detailed feedback on all elements of the course
- Online Training in a school that is committed to excellence in second language teaching
- In-Class Training with small-sized classes that allow students to learn how to teach with the minimum of stress, thus maximizing their learning and classroom performance
How long will the course take?
The minimum time required to complete this course is 12 weeks, but most trainees will take 12-24 weeks. Applicants are advised to contact their institutional members for variable course set up and duration.
What type of certificate or diploma will be earned at the end of the course?
- A certificate (printed and e-version) stating Advanced TESOL Certificate – Standard Two
- A transcript with overall
- All the knowledge, skills and practical experience to start a teaching career
- Having the actual teaching experience in general, business or academic
- Training in how to teach, market, find jobs and find students.